Monday, June 20, 2011

The First Impression

 

ktan409l

The company I’m currently working for is on a hiring spree.  For the last week or so, there’s been a steady stream of candidates coming to my area where I sit.  I work for a manufacturing firm so part of the interview is not only meeting with your hopefully soon to be manager but a tour of the production floor so they get a sense of what you could be getting yourself into.

After the interviews, these are comments I’ve been overhearing:

  • If he can’t arrive on time, I don’t want to see him! (he was 45 min late and didn’t call us)
  • He has a lot of experience but didn’t seem interested in what we do
  • He’s strong! Did you shake his hand?
  • I think he might be better suited in the other role, let’s see if he’s interested
  • He said these skills but after showing him our defective product he couldn’t point out what’s wrong with it
  • I rate him 1 out of 5.  I’d like to hire him I’m worried he might get bored after a few months.  Do you think we can groom him for the assistant role if we hire him for this one?
  • He was great, but then he casually swore in the 3rd interview (he essentially had the job but this made us not hire him in the end)
  • She had the drive, but not the experience.  I wish I could have hired her.
  • The guy wore jeans!

Most of us never hear what is talked after the interviews.  However, the sampling of the list above just shows that every little thing you do affects the interviewer’s impression.  Most were good, but there were surprises, simply because the candidate didn’t know or realized his or her actions.

What first impressions do you make?

No comments:

Post a Comment