Thursday, May 20, 2010

Don’t Judge a Phone Book by its Cover

115100-magic-marker-icon-business-phone4 My coworkers are laughing at me :)   I made my first external phone call to a vendor since I returned to work and they giggled when they heard my professional persona which is a softer, more friendly tone.  They thought I was a different person.  So, does this mean they think I’m a gruff mean person?  (HAHAHA)

Got me thinking how important to know how to convey yourself over the phone.  You can’t judge a book by its cover.  People form opinions and make judgment about us in the first minute they see us.  Susan Boyle was the perfect example.  Everyone was laughing at the poor woman, and then she sang. 

People also make judgments about us based on how we sound on the phone.  They form an opinion of us based on what we say and how we say it because they can’t see us in person.   People hear our personality and mannerisms through the tone of our voice.  It’s a skill that took me a long time to hone and I’m still learning. 

Just think of how you speak on the phone, and tell yourself, do you like what you hear?  Do you want to come off as a friendly?  A tough cookie?  Or just plain rude?  It’s all up to you, you only have a minute for the listener to judge!

No comments:

Post a Comment