Monday, September 23, 2013

The Simple Truths of Service – Inspired by Johnny the Bagger

image

I’ve mentioned that few past months I was under complete stress and lost my way. Even though I had wonderful advice that driving change within me, a part of me still felt disillusioned about my work situation.

About 2 weeks ago, while getting a coffee, I came across this book in my office lunchroom:

The Simple Truths of Service – Inspired by Johnny the Bagger

This is a small book, at most 20-30 minutes to read in a sitting; it took me 5 days. Every morning I’d just read a section. I rarely get a chance to relax during the day. Any time to get work done is invaluable to me because I don’t bring it home. That means more time designing products and working on my online shops.

This book focuses on a real life story of Johnny, a grocery bagger, who inspired his peers in the market where he worked.  He turned regular errand that most of us do, grocery shopping, and made it a positive experience that brighten up their day.

This book offers practical advice for my supply chain role in a multi-million dollar firm.  However, it’s invaluable for my small business. In order to stand out from the crowd, you have to provide your customer a great experience. I actually forgotten that along the way.

For Cindy Ho Designs, I’m currently contemplating my personal signature.  I’ve recently reopened my Etsy shop and working on my Cargoh. I did make the decision not to continue managing West Coast Origami.  It was hard decision but in order to be Johnny, better to focus on one brand.

Will you be a Johnny today?

No comments:

Post a Comment